New framework for UK health and social care research launched 28th November 2017
The Health Research Authority and the government published a new policy framework for health and social care research in October 2017. The new guidelines replace separate Research Governance Frameworks in each UK country with a single set of principles for the whole UK.
Since previous frameworks were issued over ten years ago, the health research environment has changed, with technological developments and shifts in attitudes meaning a number of new areas needed to be addressed including:
- Patients and public being more involved in research design and conduct.
- Registering research and making it publicly available.
- Making sure researchers pass findings on to the people who take part.
- Taking an appropriate approach to risk.
- Tackling inappropriate or disproportionate bureaucracy.