COPD Specialist Nursing Team
The COPD Nurse Specialist team is based at the Northern General Hospital and the COPD Community team is based at the Manor Clinic (click here for contact details).
Provide a structured evidence based approach to COPD management.
- To act as a link between hospital and community based service to achieve a quality seamless service.
- Improve the patient’s journey through hospital and where appropriate onto COPD supported discharge, and to facilitate an effective return to community based care.
- Facilitate a multidisciplinary approach to COPD management through holistic patient centred care planning.
- Provide expert clinically based information to all.
Roles / Responsibilities
- To review all patients admitted with COPD for advice and education including smoking cessation, inhaler technique & medication review, self management, oxygen, pulmonary rehabilitation, anxiety.
- Assessment of all appropriate patients for COPD supported discharge scheme.
- Coordination of Bronchiectasis patients requiring intravenous antibiotics to the home IV service.
- Support for COPD patients with non-invasive ventilation at home.
- Asthma reviews.
- Weekly Consultant multi-disciplinary meetings and clinical education.
- Community nurse led COPD clinics
- Margetson Surgery Tuesday afternoon
- Park Health Centre Thursday afternoon
- Triage to COPD community clinics.
- Domiciliary COPD assessment visits to support GPs, Emergency Care Practitioners and other community nurses.
- 4 month caseload and telephone reviews.
For both Community COPD clinics and for domiciliary nursing input referrals need to be made via Single Point Access (SPA).